Pat Mastroianni played the celebrated Joey Jeremiah on the classic late-80s / early-90s Canadian teen drama, Degrassi Junior High (and its subsequent series). He joined us live via Skype to discuss his involvement in the series.
For the rest of the show, John and Josh (heretofore as ‘We’ or ‘Us’) talk through the intricacies and complexities of both Degrassi and the excellent UK teen drama, Press Gang.
This show was recorded live at ACMI in Studio 1 as part of their monthly Live in the Studio sessions. Every month, ACMI uses their own television studio to host a discussion of all things television and that’s an idea we can all get behind. It’s fun and informative.
Meanwhile, enjoy this display of in-depth discussion and frivolity. It goes for a little over 90 minutes, so strap in. Also, there’s a list of videos and links to those videos after the jump.
We used a whole bunch of videos to entertain the crowd and give them a break from our shouty voices. They’re conveniently ordered for you here.
- Degrassi Junior High title sequence
- Press Gang title sequence
- Press Gang example clip
- Degrassi High example clip
- people shared their own stories about how Press Gang changed their lives
- we used this Joey Jeremiah montage to introduce Pat Mastroianni
- to give us a little break, we played this cover of the Zit Remedy classic, “Everybody Wants Something”
- Press Gang, apparently, was all about telephones
- Degrassi dealt with child abuse with a creepy teacher
- while Press Gang chose to make a special child abuse edition
- and then we discovered that lesbianism is nothing more than subconscious fantasy in the world of Degrassi
- This is how Degrassi ended their run
- and Press Gang chose to end like this